Friday, July 6, 2007

Part II

“To accept something is not the same as judging it good.”- Marsha Linehan Too bad more people don't realize this...
"Parting is all we know of heaven, And all we need of hell."- Emily Dickinson, from My life closed twice before its close
"Beauty is not caused. It is."- Emily Dickinson It is... what? Beauty is pure interpertation!
"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson
"Saying nothing...sometimes says the most."- Emily Dickinson Yeah, it says I'm ignoring you.
"Truth is so rare that it is delightful to tell it."- Emily Dickinson That's a lie
"Love is anterior to life, posterior to death, initial of creation, and the exponent of breath."- Emily Dickinson
"Luck is not chance, it's toil; fortune's expensive smile is earned."- Emily Dickinson
"Behavior is what a man does, not what he thinks, feels, or believes."- Emily Dickinson Then what do you call a man who does before he thinks, acting on half-formed feelings of unanalyzed beliefs? Besides an idiot.
"Whenever a thing is done for the first time, it releases a little demon."- Emily Dickinson
"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality."- Emily Dickinson
"Fame is a fickle food upon a shifting plate. "- Emily Dickinson
"The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience."- Emily Dickinson
"They might not need me; but they might. I'll let my head be just in sight; a smile as small as mine might be precisely their necessity."- Emily Dickinson
"Success is counted sweetest by those who never succeed."- Emily Dickinson
"Not knowing when the dawn will come I open every door."- Emily Dickinson
"Fortune befriends the bold."- Emily Dickinson As does trouble
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain."- Emily Dickinson
"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven."- Emily Dickinson Good, 'cause who wants to go there?
"That it will never come again is what makes life sweet."- Emily Dickinson
"Old age comes on suddenly, and not gradually as is thought."- Emily Dickinson
"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."- Emily Dickinson
"Dying is a wild night and a new road."- Emily Dickinson
"Finite to fail, but infinite to venture."- Emily Dickinson
"To whom the mornings are like nights, What must the midnights be!"- Emily Dickinson
"The possible's slow fuse is lit, by the Imagination."- Emily Dickinson "Dwell in possibility."- Emily Dickinson
"Each of us bears his own Hell."-Virgil, Aeneid I'm female, so I guess I can bear my own and whatever comes out.
"I have known sorrow and learned to aid the wretched."- Virgil, Aeneid
"Yield not to evils, but attack all the more boldly."-Virgil, Aeneid
"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."- Socrates so says a philosopher
"Death may be the greatest of all human blessings."- Socrates That, or the internet.
"If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it."- Socrates Not true. It should be until it's known how he got it AND that.
"The shortest and surest way to live with honour in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of them."- Socrates You call that short?
"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."- Socrates, from Diogenes Laertius, Lives of Eminent Philosophers Wow! An oxymoron that takes a whole sentence!
"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates, in Plato, Dialogues, Apology Is any?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." -Aldous Huxley Most likely.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."-Aldous Huxley I think you mean ALL.
"The author of the Iliad is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name." -Aldous Huxley I don't think I get the original joke, yet it's still funny!
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self."-Aldous Huxley
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."- Aldous Huxley, "Proper Studies", 1927 Nope, and that can often ease the way to self-delusion
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him."- Aldous Huxley, "Texts and Pretexts", 1932
"Death … It’s the only thing we haven’t succeeded in completely vulgarizing." - Aldous Huxley, Eyeless in Gaza (1936) Don't worry, we'll get around to it eventually.
"Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities."-Aldous Huxley, Vedanta for the Western World, 1945

"If fortune smiles, who doesn't? If fortune doesn't, who does?" - a Chinese Proverb Answer: Sadists

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain Yes, but this insight came from a higher power than you. Drugs.

"Normal is is just a setting on your dryer."- Wall Hanging
"The young have aspirations that never come to pass, the old have reminiscences of what never happened. It's only the middle-aged who are really conscious of their limitations- that is why one should be so patient with them."-Saki [Hector Hugh Munro]
"Knowledge is power; power corrupts. Study hard, be evil."
"Never take someone for granted. Hold every person close to your heart, because you might wake up one day and realize that you have lost a diamond while you were too busy collecting stones..."
"You are a good example of why some animals eat their young."
"Vegetarian - Indian word for "lousy hunter"."
"Don't follow in my footsteps. I walk into walls."
"I'm not littering. I'm donating to the Earth."
"I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect."
"I may not have a sparkling personality, but I have a lot of neuroses and many of them can fill in as personality."
"EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later."
"There ought to be a better way to start the day than by getting up in the morning."
"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right."
"I'm not cynical. Everything just sucks."
"My inferiority complex is not as good as yours."
"When in doubt, mumble."
"I didn't do it. You can't prove anything. The sheep are lying!"
"I used up all my sick days at work, so I'm calling in dead."
"If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."
"Shhhhhhh.... I just got the voices down for a nap."
"I only know how to torment you so effectively because we have such a special bond."
"I'm somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to sit down and shut up."
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too, if they have a gun."
"Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!"
"Cheer up! The worst has yet to come." "Apathy rules. Or something. Whatever."
"Leason to be learnt here, DIC screwed things up but not a s much as Cloverway."-Famous Cloverway Dialogue quote
"I'm used to going out at 3 AM and doing something stupid."-Silk Spectre II, Watchmen


"About my name, Artemis. You were right in London, it is generally a female name. After the Greek goddess of archery. But every now and then a male comes along with such a talent for hunting that he earns the right to use the name. I am that male. Artemis the hunter. I hunted you."-Artemis Fowl, Artemis Fowl book #3: The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer

"The diversity of sounds rule my ever presence with their highs and blows, encompassing the totality of sensual experience. I'm a child of the sirens of knowledge, a warrior of truth in a world of washed perspectives and harsh realities. My voice cries the initial cry of the unborn into this perplexing illusion. I long for the illusion of the human drama, the defeat of the dogs of war, and the unity of existence. the beloved gods of virtue have been undersold for the bleeding bread of empathy. I know await the triumphant roar of destiny, depressed in the inviting hands of a mother, perplexed by discovery, aroused by spirit. The door is open, the road transformed. The exit code to civilization is hacked beyond despair, chased by our moon toward the freeing sun, on our journey to light. This is the open plea to the beautiful insanity of your hearts. It is time to consumate the kiss of oblivion into the obsidian of love!"- Serj Tankian, from his album, Elect the Dead.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."-T.E. Lawrence

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."-Henri Poincare

"Many pundits today are in the habit of misquoting Santayana's epigram, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Maybe some people have come to grief this way, but they are probably fewer than those who have fallen into the opposite error. "One is apt to perish in politics from too much memory," Tocqueville wrote somewhere, with equal truth and greater insight."-David Hackett Fischer, Historians' Fallacies: Toward a Logic of Historical Thought, 1970

No comments:

Post a Comment